Three oddities
Dr. Christoph Kögl
2006-09-13 21:08:48 UTC
Hi all,

I noticed the following in VIM 7:
- When I have multiple tabs and windows in each tab open, and I am
doing a :bufdo :e to reload all buffers, the list of files is printed as
they are being
reloaded. After finishing, however, the last file having been reloaded is
put
into the window which had the focus, instead of the file that had been
there
before.
- Options cursorline and cursorcolumn are very useful. I suspect that they
complicate the already complicated highlighting interactions even further.
E.g., hlsearch-highlighted patterns take precedence (which is ok!), but
background colors of syntax-highlighted text don't. Can you add something
to enable the user to choose which background color should prevail
(i.e. syntax-background vs. cursorline-background)?
- In VIM 6, when starting an incremental search, as I was typing more and
more
letters, the line number shown in the status line was updated to be equal
to the line of the current match, i.e. it increased as I was typing. This
is no
longer the case in VIM 7. I found the VIM 6 behavior more useful.

Cheers,

Christoph
A.J.Mechelynck
2006-09-13 22:13:58 UTC
Post by Dr. Christoph Kögl
Hi all,
- When I have multiple tabs and windows in each tab open, and I am
doing a :bufdo :e to reload all buffers, the list of files is printed
as they are being
reloaded. After finishing, however, the last file having been reloaded
is put
into the window which had the focus, instead of the file that had been
there
before.
If you want to keep each file in the same window(s) it was before, use
":windo e". This won't reload hidden buffers though.

":bufdo" will cycle through all buffers (including hidden buffers, which
are not displayed in a window). From ":help :bufdo":

It works like doing this: >
:bfirst
:{cmd}
:bnext
:{cmd}
etc.

IIUC, any hidden buffers in the buffer list will (each one in its turn)
replace whatever is displayed in the current window; but you don't see
it because redraw only happens when going back to the keyboard input loop.
Post by Dr. Christoph Kögl
- Options cursorline and cursorcolumn are very useful. I suspect that they
complicate the already complicated highlighting interactions even further.
E.g., hlsearch-highlighted patterns take precedence (which is ok!), but
background colors of syntax-highlighted text don't. Can you add something
to enable the user to choose which background color should prevail
(i.e. syntax-background vs. cursorline-background)?
- In VIM 6, when starting an incremental search, as I was typing more
and more
letters, the line number shown in the status line was updated to be equal
to the line of the current match, i.e. it increased as I was typing.
This is no
longer the case in VIM 7. I found the VIM 6 behavior more useful.
Cheers,
Christoph
Best regards,
Tony.
Bram Moolenaar
2006-09-14 13:33:59 UTC
Post by Dr. Christoph Kögl
- When I have multiple tabs and windows in each tab open, and I am
doing a :bufdo :e to reload all buffers, the list of files is
printed as they are being reloaded. After finishing, however, the
last file having been reloaded is put into the window which had the
focus, instead of the file that had been there before.
:bufdo does its work in the current window. You can do something like:

:tabdo windo edit

Be aware of side effects though! You probably want to tune this to your
needs.
Post by Dr. Christoph Kögl
- Options cursorline and cursorcolumn are very useful. I suspect that they
complicate the already complicated highlighting interactions even further.
E.g., hlsearch-highlighted patterns take precedence (which is ok!), but
background colors of syntax-highlighted text don't. Can you add something
to enable the user to choose which background color should prevail
(i.e. syntax-background vs. cursorline-background)?
I don't like adding options for such details.
Post by Dr. Christoph Kögl
- In VIM 6, when starting an incremental search, as I was typing more
and more letters, the line number shown in the status line was
updated to be equal to the line of the current match, i.e. it
increased as I was typing. This is no longer the case in VIM 7. I
found the VIM 6 behavior more useful.
This is probably due to an optimization in redrawing. I can force the
ruler to be updated.
--
ARTHUR: Charge!
[They all charge with swords drawn towards the RABBIT. A tremendous twenty

/// Bram Moolenaar -- ***@Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\